General Advocacy Services

About Us

Who are we?

Housing Law is a specialist service of Canberra Community Law providing free, independent and confidential legal help.

Housing Law can provide you with free legal advice if you are having problems with Housing ACT or a community housing provider in the ACT. 

Some examples of problems we can help you with are:

  • Difficulties applying for housing
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Rent arrears/behind on rent
  • Housing transfers
  • Evictions
  • Housing debts
We can also help you if you:
  • are renting privately (from a landlord or via a real estate agency) and you have a low income and/or hold an Australian Government Health Care Card;
  • have an occupancy agreement or live in a caravan park, hostel or boarding house; or
  • live outside the ACT by referring you to a community legal centre in your area.

If you need legal assistance on a private tenancy matter but are not on a low income please phone the Tenants Advice Service on 6247 2011.

How can we help you?

We can provide you with initial advice on your situation and the options you have.

We may also be able to:

  • Talk to Housing ACT or landlords on your behalf
  • Help you to challenge Housing ACT or Community Housing decisions
  • Help you to understand and/or prepare legal documents
  • Represent you in Tribunal and Court hearings

We can not provide:

  • Advice to landlords
  • Advice on neighbour disputes
  • Advice which may lead to the eviction of another tenant (subject to limited exceptions)

If you need help in one of these areas please ring the Legal Aid ACT’s Helpline on 1300 654

Would you like to contact Housing Law?
  • Please call us on (02) 6218 7977.
  • The advice line is open from 9.30am to 1pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.


Quick Facts About The Region

Canberra Community Law is located in the suburbs of Canberra Central and Turner, the council of Canberra and the federal electorate of Canberra.